Friday 20 September 2013

Day 8 Tar Sands Canoe Trip

Tuesday August 13              Lost in a marsh


            In the morning, rather than returning to the Embarras Channel via the same break between two islands, I opt to continue downriver. According to the map, two islands further there is a long narrow channel which also converges with the Embarras, and it looks more interesting. The channel is about 8 m wide, and we see the odd muskrat, and then a large beaver lodge. There must be some territorial dispute here among beavers, because the area has been heavily scent-marked: the odour of castor glands is strong. A little way past the lodge, there is a big tangle of dead trees in the water. I get out on shore, sinking into deep mud in places, and walk the 75 m length of the obstacle to scout a way through. No portage will be necessary although there are a couple of tight spots and one place that the canoes have to be dragged through for a couple of meters. Some of the canoes attempt to find other ways through the tight spots: one is an improvement on my suggestion, another is a no-go. We get through and eventually end up in the current of the Embarras Channel. This channel is the western border of Wood Buffalo National Park, Canada’s largest national park.         

 Dog tired

Airing out sleeping bags
   
 
            As well as Raymond Ladouceur’s directions for the side channel we are searching for, I have been given other directions: a more southerly location. We are at the more southerly location now, with no side channel in sight, when a small motorboat comes around the next bend heading for us. I flag them down and we chat. John Marcel and  have come from Ft Chip via Mamawi Lake and the side channel we are looking for. According to their indication that “it is a few miles away”,  it must be near the location indicated by Ray, so we continue on. 

                       John Marcel and  Harvey have come from the side channel to Mamawi Lake

              Today, Clifford and I are using Heather’s canoe, the fastest of our fleet. Due to my anxiety about finding the side channel, we paddle hard through the meandering Embarras, leaving the others far behind. Finally, we come upon it: a wide opening to our left. Here we wait for the others. We stop on shore just before the entry, and we climb up and sit on a large dead tree sticking out from the steep bank while Willow hangs out below. After only a few minutes, though, we think better of it as we become  the victims of a mosquito invasion. Back in the canoe, we paddle into the side channel and get into an eddy on the far side out of the current to wait. We have just entered Wood Buffalo National Park.

            When the others arrive, I suggest we have lunch while floating, due to the mosquitoes. And so we do. The group has developed the pleasant habit of rafting up, holding the canoes together, when waiting for other canoes, or just to take a break. We do this now. Bruce produces a large quantity of chocolate with almonds, which he passes around, as well as the blueberries. Heather also passes out the daily ration of her delicious cookies. 

            We continue down the channel to Mamawi Lake. On our way down the channel, Brittany finds a single, broken caribou antler. She is pretty excited and spends a lot of time on the rest of the trip plotting how she will get this home. Clifford, Kelly, Kevin and I spend time inspecting the willows for a bracket fungi used as a medicine. The channel meanders much more than indicated on the map which, while irritating, is not unexpected as the map is at a 1:250 000 scale, or about 4 miles to the inch (1 cm = 2.5 km). As a consequence, it takes a lot longer to arrive at Mamawi Lake than I planned. It is already almost 6 PM as we get close. A motor boat crosses our path and I have a short chat. It is a couple on their way south. They indicate that there is not much in the way of solid ground for camping on Mamawi Lake. I already know that and had planned to simply cross the lake, following a set of flagged poles placed as a guide for boaters, and look for a campsite on an island or beyond the lake, as had been indicated to me previously. They insist that we will have too far to go and that there is one point, Beaver Ass Point, where people camp nearby. They offer to take me there in their boat to show me. I suggest instead that they simply point it out on the map. They do, and we continue on. 

 Endless channel to Mamawi Lake


            The channel widens and for a long time we can see the expanse of the lake through the willows lining the channel, but we paddle at least three kilometers further before actually arriving on the open lake. The lake is large: about 15 km across, although the route to Ft Chip will only require covering about 5 km of  the lake. Upon arrival, we are greeted by an enormous area of floating logs and branches with a couple of paths through them. Perched upon them are a large number of gulls, terns and white pelicans. Clifford and I wait for the others on the edge of the floating logs. From the map and with compass, I calculate the bearing we need to get to “Beaver Ass Point” and I explain to the others where we are headed. As we paddle out into the lake, there are a few seconds of pandemonium as the birds all take flight. 

Arrival on Mamawi Lake


 White pelicans, gulls and two Caspian terns. Looks like a black and white photo.


            The wind is light and in our favour, and we paddle to the west to the promised campsite. When we arrive at the spot the boaters indicated on the map, there is no solid ground: only lines of aquatic grasses and horsetails, and interspersed and beyond are dense stands of willows, 3-6 meters tall. Willows are rarely an indicator of solid ground. When we investigate some of the stands, they are in water or water-logged ground. Also, due to the extensive areas of both grasses and willows, it is impossible to tell where there is solid ground, if any, in the distance. Clearly the boaters pointed out the wrong location.  I regret that I did not take up their offer to take me to the campsite. I had forgotten the rule I have learned over and over: few people can read maps well. Most rural people know the area they live in and do not need maps. We also could have continued with my plan A which was to cross the lake to another channel which leads to Ft Chip until we came to a reasonable campsite which I had been assured is there. In the back of my head, I think we may have to go back to that plan. On the other hand, we have now traveled 4 km in the wrong direction and we would have to return against the wind. It is also cloudy and so it will be darker than I would like for night travel. 

            When the others catch up, I do not have much good news to offer. I have no idea where the campsite is: it is not where it was indicated to me, and the landscape is giving few clues. The others are pretty calm about this, except for Bruce. Bruce complains about “there being poor communication on this trip” which he repeats over and over. This is his first canoe trip and he is clearly very uncomfortable. After this continues for a while, I lose my temper and start to vent. Fortunately, Alex breaks in, and in her best “teacher voice”  tells me that this is not the time. She is right and I stop. I feel ashamed of my anger but am still angry. Alex is able to get a signal on her cell phone and Bruce phones Sara in Ft Chip. She, in turn, phones Ron’s brother, David Campbell, who works for the National Park. He phones us back and he explains to me where to find “Beaver Ass Point”. Unfortunately, his advice does not help as the only landmarks he gives me are areas of brown grass and I can see many of these. Tristan is able to use Alex’s cellphone to get a satellite image of the area with our location. I see that we had gone to exactly the place the boaters had indicated for “Beaver Ass Point” on my map, so I am reassured at least that my navigating was correct. That however does not help and there is nothing in the satellite image to indicate where we should go. I am about at the point to suggest that we retrace our steps and paddle back the way we came and towards Ft Chip when another motor boat comes by. We flag it down, and an older couple indicate where we need to go to camp: further north, around a large point and to the next point to the west. We go on. At the first point, Clifford and I spot another potential campsite and we go in to investigate. Clifford walks the area and it is a last resort: very wet.

            While we are there, the others catch up and yell to us “where are you?” I yell back not to follow us in. They are getting impatient and I do not blame them. We follow the first couple of canoes through a sea of grass to where the campsite should be. There is nothing obvious, but Clifford and I do see another flat area of grasses on shore. Two canoes, ahead at this point, have gone right by this. Clifford and I hop out and it appears OK. We feel that this must be the elusive “Beaver Ass Point”. The two other canoes come to shore near us and wait. With some back and forth yelling, we learn that the others can find nothing else further down. Within minutes, Clifford and I have a fire going, and a few minutes later, all the tents are up. Bruce and I have a heated discussion over by the canoes which at the very least allows my anger and his frustration to dissipate without doing any permanent damage to our friendship. We all have a very quick supper in the fading light and agree to a time of 7:00 to be on the water in the morning. Big lakes often get rough by afternoon. Then we disappear into our tents, leaving the night to the clouds of mosquitoes that have welcomed us ashore.

No comments:

Post a Comment